Displacement: 498 cc
Engine type: 4-stroke / sv
Bore / Stroke:
@ 4200 rpm
Frame number: R132894
Engine number: R9/132894
Joe Stevens, father of Harry, George, Jack, and Joe Stevens, first built an internal combustion engine in 1897, although his engines did not enter production until after 1900. His first engines, of 125cc, were sold as proprietary engines to other manufacturers. In 1905, Stevens built a JAP V-twin engined motorcycle, with leading link front forks and a swinging fork at the rear. This was done at the father's Stevens Screw Company, where the family were all employed. A new company, A J Stevens & Co (AJS), was founded by Harry, George, Jack and Joe Stevens on 14th November 1909. After much deliberation of a name, they chose to use initials only, and as only one brother, Jack had two Christian names (Albert John), the new name AJS was christened.
The 'R' series of machines were introduced in 1930 with a reduced model range. There was the 996cc, side valve, V twin, 'R2' that sold for £63. There were three 349cc machines. The 'R4' was the deluxe side valve machine and sold for £63. The 'R5' was the standard lightweight machine, selling for £40 and the 'R6' was the overhead valve machine that sold for £53. There were two 498cc machines, the overhead valve, two port 'R8' and the side valve 'R9'. The machines sold for £59.10s.The 'R12' was a 248cc overhead valve, 2 port machine that sold for £40.
This bike spend its whole life in Sweden and is single family ownership from new. This R9 has been restored recently.