Displacement: 500 cc
Engine type: 4-stroke / ohv
Engine number: Z8.1116
The Birmingham Small Arms Company first experimented with powered two-wheelers in the latter years of the 19th Century and then again in 1905. These first motorcycles made by BSA used proprietary engines such as the Belgian Minerva, and it was not until 1910 that the firm introduced a BSA designed and built machine. The first series-production model to feature the marque's distinctive green and cream tank colours was a 499cc (3½hp) side-valve single. Well engineered and equally well made, this first BSA proved an enormous success and effectively established the company's reputation as a maker of high quality motorcycles. Introduced for the 1927 season, the influential ‘Sloper’ started a trend which saw many of BSA’s competitors adopt inclined motors. The Sloper featured a trend-setting saddle tank that afforded a low seating position, and for 1930 gained chromium-plated brightwork and a new frame with forged steel spine. Models with the 493cc overhead-valve engine came with twin-port cylinder heads. For 1930 the Birmingham firm offered no fewer than 18 models, six of which had inclined engines. The Sloper range remained essentially vintage in character until its demise in 1935, by which time the line-up had shrunk to just two models: one overhead-valve, the other sidevalve, both of 595cc.
The beauty has been restored to high standard recently. It comes complete with a Lucas lighting set and Bosch horn. It runs great.