Manufacturer: New Hudson
Displacement: 500 cc
Engine type: 4-stroke / sv
Frame number: M18427
Engine number: NF785
The New Hudson marque began in the late 1800's as a bicycle factory in Birmingham, England. The owner, George Patterson, made his first motorcycle in 1902, but as it was not a sales success, no more motor cycles were produced until 1910. From 1910 to 1932; with the exception of years 1915 to 1919 when WWI meant only munitions and bicycles were made; motorcycle production averaged about 2000 each year. The New Hudson range expanded between 1910 and 1915 using JAP engines, then the factory joined the war effort until 1919. As well as side-valve and OHV single-cylinder engines of 350 to 600 cc, they also built a 211 cc two-stroke and a number of three-wheelers with MAG engines. The company were always keen on gaining success in motor cycle sport and gained many good results. However lacking the finances of larger companies their best result in the Isle of Man TT was Jimmy Guthrie's second place in the Senior event in 1927.In 1932 due to the depression motor cycle production ceased as it was no longer profitable. However, the company continued to make bicycles, and also diversified into making the Girling brake systems for cars. In 1940 the bicycle factory began to produce an autocycle with a 98cc Villiers engine which was a success. The bicycle factory was purchased by BSA in 1943 and production continued under the New Hudson name. The Girling brake factory passed into the ownership of Joseph Lucas. After the second World War B.S.A. continued to make autocycles bearing the New Hudson name until 1957.
This bike has been assembled to give an overview of its completeness.
The engine and gearbox are in the inside complete and turns over.
All main parts are present. It comes with a box with some additional parts.